Follicle Unit Extraction (FUE) is a hair transplantation process which harvests hair from anywhere on the body and then places it onto another site on the body. FUE hair transplanting is basically like a kind of organ transplant, where the tissue of the person is trans-planted back into their own body (auto-transplantation). A transplantation of a hair root from another person is technically possible, but due to serious side effects from medication used in post-planting from other donors, only the auto-transplantation system is used.
As a person who intends to receive a hair planting, you probably have visited many confusing and vague websites. Allow us to try and explain FUE hair transplantation from a slightly different point of view, and hopefully shed some light on the process. In recent years, since plantings such as eyebrow, eyelash, beard, mustache and arm hair (done with the purpose of disguising earlier razor traces from previous hair transplant procedures) have been made, the term â€œhair transplantationâ€ tends to fall short of adequately describing the FUE technique. A more correct term would be â€œHAIR ROOT TRANSPLANTATION.
There are two methods through which hair transplants are conducted in Turkey, one of which is the FUE method. The term â€œhair root transplantationâ€ differentiates FUE from the other method, which works by moving larger strips (or â€œgraftsâ€) of hair from one part of the body to another. With the FUE method, each hair root is taken out individually and transplanted to hairless parts of the body. Hair is moved follicle by follicle, making FUE a superior process than the earlier grafting methods. With FUE there is no incising, no sutures, and no scars! FUE, unlike the grafting method, is not a traumatic surgical operation, and because of this there is no need to wait for long periods of time between transplanting sessions. This reduction in wait time allows the whole process to be completed in a matter of days, rather than having to undergo multiple sessions over weeks or months.
Before the follicle removal process, hair on the donor area is cut up to 1 mm. The areas of hair removal and hair transplantation are then anesthetized using local anesthetic. Then a Micro Motor tip is used to approach the center of the hair root. The tip is then stuck in and pulls out the root from the skin at the natural angle of the growing hair. This ensures that the hair is cutout in a cylindrical style, with the follicle and the microscopic tissue surrounding it kept in place. The removal is done gently and the follicular unit comes out completely separating from the base. Due to this automatic system that minimizes the graft wastage in operation, operation terms have been shortened and the number of grafts taken over time has drastically increased. After the follicular units are collected in this way, they are then placed into small holes which have been opened up on the hairless area
Superiorities of this method with regard to other methods are as follows:.
- On the area where the grafts are taken out, only the involved root cell is removed directly without taking out any other tissue.
- No incision or suture process is applied to the area where the hair is removed. In the area from where the roots have been removed, small scratches (less than 1.00 mm in diameter) occur and these scratches completely heal within a few days without leaving any scars.
- By using this technique, follicles taken from the nape of the neck can be used in hair transfer. Also transfer can be done to eyebrows, mustache and beard
- Depending upon the term of recovery, there is no need to wait for a long time between sessions. Sessions may be repeated once every other day.
- Up to 10,000 transplants on average can be taken per session. There are 1-5 strands within each transplant. 1 transplant will produce 2.5-3 strands of hair on average.
- It is possible to implant 55-60 (or more) roots per square centimeter.
- Furthermore the fact that no pain or loss of sense occurs to the tissue during and after the operation, makes this method to be the most preferable option for patients
With the FUE method, the hair initially transplanted is lost at the end of the first month, and they then begin to grow fully about 2-3 months after the transplantation. The hair that grows out at this time, makes a strong impression by the 6th month; but takes its best shape within a year, after completing its adaptation term. Since the hair transplanted is taken from areas genetically coded not to be lost, they will never become suspect to balding again. Also, since the hair belongs to the person themselves, they grow out with the same color and character of the hair in the transplanted area.